Thursday, August 28, 2008

I can count on three fingers the number of times, in my adult life, that I have been afflicted with a stomach flu.

It just figures that last Friday night would be number four.

It is a tribute to the depth of my mental instability devotion that as I prayed hard at the porcelain bowl, I thought... 'perhaps I will be well enough by morning to make it to trainer Joe's for the team training'.

I was not. Well enough that is.

I have spent the greater part of each subsequent training session of this week alternately ruing the day I decided to Tri and cursing trainers Bob and Joe for their cheerful leadership, unflagging encouragement and quippy chatter.

I think I am getting better though; yesterday evening as I contemplated the still cool waters of Pinchot Park, I marveled at how far I have come.

It was here you see that I took my first plunge. In these very waters, in this very buoied partition that I struggled through my first 100 yards.

I slapped the chill from my arms, rinsed the baby shampoo from my goggles (it keeps them from fogging - thanks BOB) and sluiced smoothly through the water, imagining myself as a sort of aquatic nymph - a being of light and grace if you will.


Then I sucked water through my nose.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, my dear niece (well, ok, I know you're my cousin, but nevertheless, you're still my NIECE),I hope you know how honored I am to be your aunt (ok, OK!! cousin, then, 1st, once removed, if we are to be precise). You are unique and magnificent on so many levels! I thank you and praise you for this which you undertake, and more importantly, for the life you live and give so robustly...so gently. You are indescribable! And I love you dearly.
Aunt Ann

Janis Bland said...

I just posted your goal triumph on my blog! YAY!!!!

I'll be thinking of you next Sunday.

And please, continue blogging!!!

Fledgling said...

Oh Stinker!

Maybe this is part of your training, as well. This is where you get to practice feeling really lousy and keep on keeping on.

I'm pretty darn proud of you. 10 days! I'm counting down and crossing my fingers as you cross all kinds of lines, starting lines and otherwise. It's the journey: the JOURNEY. Everything else is icing.

And if "Aunt Ann" won't claim you as a cousin, I will. 20 generations and we're all related, right? I'll bet you and I are more like only 14 times removed. I can feel it in my blood ;-)

Take care.

-Nancy

OH! And congratulations on breaking the glass on that donate-o-meter dealie! Take THAT chirpie happy mega athlete trainer idiot....